Monday, January 20, 2014

The Modern Megan Draper Red Coat


I used to love that terrible plastic surgery make-over show, "The Swan."  The best part was, of course, the Big Reveal.  Here's my Big Reveal.  This coat has suffered from my insane life-breakdown of the last two months.  It's been stuffed in suitcases and sewn at borrowed machines from LA, to Carpenteria to Wiltshire.  I'm really happy with it though.  It's exactly the Modern Megan Draper look I was going for.


I made only two changes: one was to sub in two piece Burda style sleeves.  The sleeves gave me tons of grief but now that the coat is done I'm pretty happy with them.  They are very slim (probably too slim since you can't fit a big sweater under) and long.  I love long sleeves.  I also nipped in the waist a bit more and shortened the very long back vent.  The turn of cloth at the collar didn't work out, but I'm ok with that. 







Royal blue china silk lining.  I love the color and the feel, but I should have interlined the coat.  It's really not warm enough for a winter coat.  I may make another lining and quilt flannel to the lining to add warmth.  But not now...



The Guts.  Weirdly this coat doesn't seem to have taken as long as you'd think.  My white coat from last year took foreeeever.  This one would have been done before Christmas if my life hadn't crumbled two days after I cut out the fabric.



 I LOVE the insane collar and lapels.  The pattern has a dart that runs parallel to the roll line, under the lapel which I think helps shape the lapel to the bust.  The lapels and collar are heavily pad stitched which also gives it a nice shape and prevents the lapels from flapping around your face.


A very tempting cake shop in Dulwich.  We got some funny looks but the photo shoot was worth it.



 What do you think about the buttons?  They look like a perfect match in real life, but here they don't seem to perfect.

Marlybone Train station.  This seemed all too apt for where I'm at right now, life wise.  There is a lot of examining and pondering and fretting.  These past two months have been grueling.  There was the insane break-up, my sister's new baby and then I flew over to the UK to help my Mum whose been struggling with ever worsening health issues.  It's been utterly exhausting and I haven't had time to think of "real work" or do anything related to getting my own life on track.  It's funny how this work doesn't really count as work.  There's no prestige or paycheck yet it's ultimately the most important work there is.

Any London bloggers reading this? I'll be back in London in March and probably living for a month in Crofton Park (SE4 I believe).  I'm totally game for some meet-ups!



I love the welt pockets.  They really need to be stitched down by machine though - my slipstitching isn't going to hold them in place for long.  This coat calls for topstitching but my machine can't handle it.  If I ever return to California I'll be bumming some time on one of my sewing group's Berninas.


 So that's my coat, and my life.  Hope you are all well!

16 comments:

Amy said...

It's beautiful. It looks so expensive and well-made and it's beautifully tailored. I love the blue lining! It's such an unexpected color and it looks great.

SEWN said...

Gorgeous coat. Love the lapels! I hope you are starting to feel better. Some changes are hard and take time to move through.

Nhi Huynh said...

The coat is fabulous!!! Love everything about it. So great to see that some things are coming together for you.

Julianne said...

It looks fabulous! Definitely the right call on the sleeves, and all that pad stitching makes a difference. Tunnel quilt a new lining, later! And the buttons are great.

Have fun traveling, go to Finland, and we'll see you back in California someday!

Jill said...

Who cares if it's warm or not-it's gorgeous! I'm sure it was a great feeling getting that done.
We certainly miss you here!

Carmen Bouchard said...

It's wonderful, wear it proudly!

SewTell said...

It came out really nice. Glad you were able to finish it.

craftylittlebugger said...

Amazing coat. This looks so professional, and the fabric is gorgeous.

I'm in London! So time providing, I'd be game for a meet up, I've not done one before.

Siri Andersen said...

I love the bold fabric, it makes a very eyecatching coat!
I am sorry for the curveballs your life has thrown you, but it is the same for all of us, and you come out stronger at the other side :) Take care!

Catherine Daze said...

It's come out beautifully. I love the collar! Hang in there, I hope things get better. I'm pretty close to London so would be great to meet up in March.

Elizabeth said...

The coat is beautiful and it looks so professional! I love the fabric and the buttons. Nice work.

Jessica said...

Great coat. Love the lining. :)

Sharon Michelle Webster said...

I'm sorry to hear you are going through a tough time, so hard when lots of things happen at once. Your coat has turned out really nice, I'm inspired ~ take care x

Beth Cavanaugh said...

I love a statement coat, and this one is so classy and fun at the same time.

Olga Becker @ Kid Approved said...

Great coat! I hope you are feeling better!

Scarf said...

Great coat, I expect you've been getting lots of use out of it. This is a nice pattern. I rather like the dress in it too.

Kathleen