Sunday, November 25, 2012

Inspiration, frustration, desperation

I have muslin malaise.  After doing two full muslins (fully stay-stitched and marked a la Susan Khalje's Couture Dress class) I have neither the interest or inspiration in sewing up the actual Matthew Williamson dress. This is a pretty common situation for me; I have many muslins that have never made it into fashion fabric.  I caught myself dragging out my chosen fabric with dread in my heart and stopped myself.  Sewing is meant to be an enjoyable past-time for me, not a slog.  So I watched a re-run of "Bones" instead.  Much more fun.

In the meantime I'm nearing the finish line on my annual knitting project:

Oh sleeves, how I hate thee.

This is the "Beatnik" pattern by Norah Gaughn from Knitty.com.  Once I actually get around to finishing the sleeves it will be a great sweater.  The armholes are very long, but in the spirit of "Carry On" I'm just going to knit bigger sleeves.  Yes, I know it would be better to rip back and make the armholes shorter.  Isn't going to happen.  (I've already ripped out and re-knit both necklines in order to make the front the back and vice versa... can you see the mistake on the back?  Originally it was on the front, which was just annoying enough to make me do the extra work.)  I hate hate HATE knitting the neckline shaping.  No good reason.  I just hate it.

Without the sleeves to balance the proportions I look "very hippy" as my Grandmother used to like to say.

So, sewing.

Like everyone else I am gobsmacked by the December Burda.  Every pattern is a winner.  I think I could sew my wardrobe for life from the last three months of Burda.  It's been that good.

What are you up to?

No comments: