Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Starlet Suit Jacket, part III

After all my big talk about not over fitting... I am fitting.  A second look at my muslin photos showed some extra fabric on the upper back.  Which surprised me, since I always think of myself as having a rather meaty upper back, or more technically a broad and muscular upper back.



I pinned out a horizontal fold, but my question is should I be adding that length back somewhere, and if so, where? In addition there seems to be extra fabric on the back side panel, which is possible to fold out, though I imagine it will make the pattern piece look rather peculiar.

 This is where a fitting friend would come in handy, no?

Finally, the horizontal back fold seems to move the shoulder seam too far back, so I've drawn a new shoulder seam line that "gives" some of the front bodice piece to the back bodice piece.  Does that make sense?

I think the front looks pretty good actually.

I still need to move the curve in the princess seam down.  The curve hits me at my 19-year-old bust point.  Not my 41-year-old bust point (I never quite understood Meryl Streep's joke in "It's Complicated," about Alec Baldwin not having seen her standing up naked in twenty years.  I get it now).

Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Shelley Hesson said...

Hey. I can't offer any help because I'm still fairly new to sewing and haven't begun proper fitting yet, but I'm enjoying watching your progress and am rooting for you. Looks great so far. Interesting about the 19-year-old bust point vs. the 41-year-old bust point. I never would have thought of that. Gravity is not our friend. :)