Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Marilyn Monroe-esque or -ish...



Isn't it funny how, after sewing for almost twenty years, you can still have "slap your hand to your head, no duh" moments.  It had never occurred to me that I could pin patterns to a dress body and check and refine the fit that way.

Duh...

This is my Mum's dress form, which she is kindly giving to me, and which will be schlepped back to the US on Virgin Atlantic tomorrow.  It more or less mirrors my shape, but I intend to do some padding to perfect it as much as possible.  I have no clue whether this is "quality" or not.  Maybe just "good enough?"

The dress is the Marilyn Monroe-ish sheath dress from Burda June '06.



Not that they call it "the Marilyn Monroe dress."  It reminds me of a great black sheath dress that Michelle Williams wears in "My Weekend with Marilyn."  Very simple, form fitting, elegant, with a plunging V at the back to sex it up a little.

Of course, once I had covered my little doppelganger with coral lace I realized that it could get dangerously close to frump, very fast.  So I'm going to ditch the matching lining (which took it straight to Princess Margaret: The G and T Years, and not in a good way).  I don't want to look like a fading lush on a bad day.


And gratuitous cute dog shot.  Meggie is tiny, but she has an outsized sense of self that required a shift in perspective to convey.

1 comment:

oonaballoona said...

that last line is priceless...