Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Winter Coat Ambitions, plus, a ramble about the Relative Values of CA and WY DMV offices.

I've long wanted to make a Winter Coat, and seeing as I just committed to spending the winter in a log cabin on the edge of the Grand Tetons (my room overlooks about a million empty acres of mountains, elk refuge and National Park) now seems like the time.

The winter white coating from Mood is going to be a version of Simplicity 2508, which is a Project Runway pattern.  I really fell in love with the more Mod double-breasted coat in the top left, but now I'm leaning towards the more timeless coat in the middle of the line-drawing.  I was totally inspired by Cidell's Awe-inspiring Coat and actually wanted to saw the same pattern - but, like EVERYTHING else in my life... my BWOFs are "in storage in Sante Fe."  The "in storage in Sante Fe" line is quite the family joke now.  Both my sister and I have our entire worldly possessions safely locked up in a city at least 800 miles from anywhere either of us are ever planning on living again.  But I digress.

I've spent several fruitless hours looking for lambswool interlining on the web, but I'll probably go with the much easier to find option of cotton flannel, Jo-Ann's flannel backed satin or Thinsulate.  Thoughts anyone?

Oh, and the Jackson Hole DMV?  Yesterday I walked in and they nice ladies behind the counter were DRINKING COFFEE.  And were PLEASED TO SEE ME.  After ten years in LA it still literally makes me want to cry tears of joy when my city / town actually tries to make life easier for you...

4 comments:

mollymolly said...

I'd still go for the Mod coat. And I know what you mean, small town DMVs are sooo much more pleasant!

cidell said...

I am actually wishing for it to cool down so I can wear said coat. Do you want to borrow the magazine? I'd be more than happy to send it to you. It's an amazing coat. I get stopped on the street on a regular basis. It was so great I almost stopped sewing because I thought I couldn't top it :)

cidell said...

Lambswool is available from Greenberg and Hammer. If you call they will ship. I bought Thinsulate locally for not all that much. It's stored now for the next coat I make. Can I suggest you not use the Joann's flannel back satin? I used it for mine. It's not pilling, but it's getting runs in it already.

Caroline said...

@mollymolly, small town DMV's make my day. as do small town libraries (no late fees) and parking tickets ($16!)

@Cidell, I thought G and H went out of biz? Their web site seems to be a bit vague but I'll have another look. A loan of BWOF would be amazing! I'll email you...