Friday, July 08, 2011

S**t Sewing

The recent broo-haa-haa on the blogs about "What level of sewist do you consider yourself?" got me thinking about a really under-discussed category, that of S**t sewing.  S**t sewing is that thing you start at about 9pm the night before you leave for a vacation, or extended work trip.  It's anytime you sew something that you could actually buy at American Apparel or HM for less than $30. It's when you can't see your chalk markings and you just "wing" inserting that sleeve, or guessing where the hem line might roughly be.

I do a lot of S**t Sewing.  Actually, the older I get, the more I do it, which is pretty much the opposite of what you'd expect.  Unless it's a super fancy dress, I tend to put the sewing pedal to the floor and simply, "sew through it."  Sometimes that's a bad strategy, as in the Cynthia Rowley dress, which would have benefitted from some more thoughtful work.  Other times it works surprisingly well.

I really wanted a Breton top for my trip to LA.  This is from a TNT Burda WOF pattern, it took about an hour to make, and despite the fact that it's made with all the classic S**t Sewing techniques; poor markings,   shoddy pattern matching, eye-balling of all hems and facings, I think it works.

Do you do s**t sewing? Should it be a new "level" category on PatternReview?

5 comments:

K2 said...

S**t sewing. LOL. That is awesome. I think some of my fear about sewing garments is because I feel the standard of blog sewing is couture and my natural inclination is to s**t sew. Simple, close enough, who cares, no one will see it anyways, kind of sewing. It is funny because I used to sew costumes for myself for medieval recreation and I was able to sew lovely garments. I think I felt more free to improvise and not sew from a pattern than I do now. I really just need to get over it and go back to a little s**t sewing and make my adjustments the way I want instead of trying to achieve some high-faluting ideal.

cidell said...

I am not capable of shit sewing. I am anal about measuring seam allowances and tracing. But, I will be lazy about finishing. Or if I'm going a zipper or pocket and it's not quite right I'll just leave it alone.

As for ranking oneself on their abilities, I find it exhausting. The only reason I think people want to know is so they fan compare themselves with others.

Caroline said...

Yeah K2 - it's very liberating to not care too, too much! And I get so much more done with that mentality.

@Cidell, we should do an Extreme Sewing Swap. It could be a new reality show!!!

Aroura said...

Haha, I love that, S**t sewing. :) I tend to be pretty detailed in my sewing 95% of the time, but there are times I just don't feel like it, or a pattern is basic enough or I've made it often enough that I sort of just slap it together that way.

I also have no idea how to rank oneself. I've been thinking about that a lot lately as I rated myself "Advanced beginner" when I first joined PR. Just because I'd made a few SCA costumes, I didn't think I should label myself beginner. Now, about 1.5 years later after learning a ton, and doing my first knits and such, I'm thinking I'm just now hitting the level of advanced beginner for real, lol.

Very entertaining blog :) Plus, I do like the top a lot, it doesn't look thrown together at all. I love the fabric and the horizontal stripes.

Gabrielle said...

I like your top, and I make quite a few knit tops like this EVEN THOUGH I know they wouldn't cost much to buy. Perhaps that's not rational, but at least it's not too time consuming!

However, the area where I feel my sewing is really, really s**t is kids' sewing. I see all these gorgeous little things other people make and I want to make similarly gorgeous little things for my kids - but when it comes down to it, I just don't really want to spend a heap of time on a garment that will fit for 6 months and maybe not even be liked!