Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Butterwick 5032, part II, or, What no Sexy?

This suddenly seems to be a very popular pattern, judging by the number of people I've seen refer to it on PR and SR, this is my second go round, and all I can say is WTF.

Now, it's not the fit.  The fit is actually awesome thanks to all the (many, many, many) changes I made first time round.  No, it's the 'what exactly was I thinking?' that has me going WTF.  This is possibly the least sexy dress ever.  Now, granted it's not hemmed, and since I don't have any interfacing (and am 100 miles away from the nearest source, I haven't faced or lined it either.  But really?  Why do I look at some bold and goofy curtains in a thrift store and think that a prim '50s sheath dress in this clownish fabric is what I, a 40 yo single woman, should be wearing?

Now, this might sound like a daft conundrum, but when I look back at my sewing history there is a notable lack of sexy.  I have elegant clothes, retro clothes, quirky clothes... but only one certifiably sexy dress that I've made.  What's up with that?  I've never really thought about this before, but the truth is I rarely feel sexy in the clothes I make, and I wonder what message I'm sending to myself and the world with this attitude.



I have a cousin in NYC, who is a bit of a socialite queen.  She'd a fashion editor, and shot all the time for the gossip columns, etc.  And she - though the mother of 3, and several years older than me - is always sexy, in that Bianca-Jagger-just-out-of-the-shower kind of way.  And she's completely magnetic to men, and other women.  Is there something going on that I never try to be that person?  Why wouldn't I?  Who doesn't want to be sexy...

Anyhoo, dramatically shortening this dress might help.  Wearing it with less clunky shoes might too.  Or else it could simply be a lesson in 'things to think about.'

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Well, I don't know about it being the "least" sexy dress ever. I think the print looks fabulous on you and the dress looks great!

Miko said...

i agree... i really like this dress!! i say wear it fearlessly and fiercely because it's AWESOME!!