Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Marni Dress...

I am finally making the Marni dress ("Tennis Style!") from the June issue of Patrones. I decided that I am only sewing fabric that I already own, and not buying anymore for at least a few more garments, but am sort of stumped on this one. The dress has three bands of fabric, and I am using a little of the left over blood orange silk for the top band. The middle band is recycled from one of the brown curtains that I made for the apartment in the Fontenoy. But what should the bottom band be? I have two potential fabrics. A pale green silk with embroidered flowers, or a brighter green silk. But they both seem too whimsical somehow. I think the final band should be midnight blue, and I've tried it out here with some jersey in that color. Thoughts?



4 comments:

LMH said...

I like that dress too. I think that to make this dress, what you need to do is duplicate the value scheme of the dress even if you don't use the same colors. The original has a distinct value gradation (dark, medium, light), with pretty equal gaps between values. On yours, however, the red, brown, and blue are very close in value, with the red (even though it's quite bright) and brown being extremely close (pretty much the same), and the blue being a bit darker. Dark blue, brown, and light green is probably the closest you can come to the value scheme of the original with what you've got (I don't know if you'd like that, however, or if it would help you use up fabric). You might also want to reverse your scheme, so that the darkest value is at the top, and the lightest at the bottom, as in the original dress. If you get the value scheme right, it shouldn't matter what the actual colors are. I hope this helps. It's a great dress.

Tiger Feet said...

hmmm... that's a good way to look at it. I think for this version I'll have to stick with what I've cut out, as I'm basically working with scraps anyway, but if I make it again I'll follow your advice, and try to recreate the value gradation...

Thanks!

LMH said...

You're welcome! I hope it works out for you & it'll be interesting to see what you think of the pattern itself.

Evie said...

This issue came out when I was in Spain, I bought it and promptly left it in the pocket of the bus seat on my way back to Segovia from Granada. I was so upset!